Advertisement
SC Biz News

Construction

Subscribe to Our Digital Newsletters

Historic Columbia honors Craig for preservation leadership

Construction
  • Staff Report
Print Story
  • Share

Staff Report
colanews@scbiznews.com
Published May 13, 2015

Rosie Craig, a founding member of the Congaree Vista Guild who championed efforts to spare the Palmetto Compress Warehouse from demolition, has received the 2014 Preservation Leadership Award from Historic Columbia.

The award was presented during the organization’s recent luncheon to recognize local projects that have maintained or added to the historical, architectural and cultural heritage.

craig
Craig
“Preservation is the pillar upon which Historic Columbia was founded,” said Robin Waites, executive director of Historic Columbia. “The projects we honor this year reveal a real interest in sustainability, creative design and sensitivity to the small and large features that make our community unique.”

Craig has been an activist participant in the revitalization of Columbia’s historic warehouse district with the purchase and rehabilitation of the DuPre Building. The successful restoration and adaptive reuse of the former Ford dealership led to Historic Columbia awarding the DuPre an Adaptive Reuse Preservation Award in 2002.

Craig also advocated for the preservation of the Palmetto Compress Warehouse. Built in 1917 and listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1985, the warehouse is one of Columbia’s last surviving remnants of the city’s cotton industry.

Located on the edge of the Vista neighborhood near Blossom and Huger streets, the 366,000-square-foot structure once was facing demolition to make way for a private student dormitory.

Urged by Craig and others, the city bought the building in April 2013 for $5.65 million. In October of that year, a development company headed by Craig and Amanda Sauls acquired the structure and its nearly 5-acre site for $5.9 million.

On April 15, officials announced that the building had been acquired by Philadelphia-based developer Ron Caplan of PMC Property Group who plans to convert the warehouse into nearly 200 apartments and retail space. Caplan’s team recently completed a 1 million-square-foot, three-building luxury apartment project called The Mills in the city’s historic mill district.

“As a forward and preservation-minded thinker, Rosie was the first person to publicly offer to purchase the warehouse and propose an adaptive reuse project converting the warehouse into a mixed-use space,” said preservation activist and developer Richard Burts, winner of the 2013 Preservation Leadership Award. “With strong leadership and dedication to preserving Columbia’s history, Rosie has been instrumental in the preservation of Columbia’s built environment.”

Other 2015 Preservation Award Winners include:

Adaptive Reuse

adluh flour

Former Adluh Flour Warehouse, 802-804 Gervais St.

Owner: Allen Brothers Milling Company, Inc.

Architect: Studio 2LR, Inc.

Contractor: Hood Construction Company

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

agape complex

Adaptive Reuse

Agapé Complex, 1614-1626 Main St.

Owner: Agapé Senior

Architect: Lambert Architecture + Construction Services

Contractor: Mashburn Construction

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

du pre building

Adaptive Reuse

DuPre Building, 807 Gervais St.

Owner: NAI Avant

Architect: Studio 2LR, Inc.

Interior Designer: Nan Sammataro

Contractor: Weathers Contracting

 

 

wavering place

Adaptive Reuse

Wavering Place Plantation Kitchen House, 427 Adams Hayne Road, Eastover

Owner: Weston and Lisa Adams & Robert and Shana Adams

Contractor: Lee McCaskill

 

 

state museum

New Construction in an Historic Context

South Carolina State Museum, 301 Gervais St.

Owner: South Carolina State Muesum

Architect: Clark Patterson Lee and Watson Tate Savory

Contractor: Gilbane Construction

 

 

110 wayne street

Preservation/Restoration Award

110 Wayne St.

Owner: Skip Sawin and Jessica Sage

Contractor: Paul Haynes, Haynes Construction

 

 

eastminster

Preservation/Restoration Award

Eastminster Presbyterian Church, 3200 Trenholm Road

Owner: Eastminster Presbyterian Church

Architect: Quackenbush Architects + Planners

Contractor: Mashburn Construction

  • Share
0 Comments
Write a Comment