Columbia’s River Rat Brewery is participating in a statewide campaign to boost vaccination rates among young adults.
“Shot and a Chaser” is a partnership between the S.C. Department of Health and Environmental Control and the S.C. Brewers Guild targeting the 20-24 age group, which DHEC data shows is the least-vaccinated in the state.
The single-shot Janssen vaccine is being offered at local breweries, with some offering the two-dose Moderna vaccines as well, according to a news release from DHEC. Anyone who receives an on-site shot from a medical professional will be offered a free beer, for ages 21 and up, or a soda.
“DHEC’s partnership with the South Carolina Brewer’s Guild is the latest example of innovation and outside-the-box thinking that it’s going to take to beat this pandemic,” Edward Simmer, DHEC director, said in the release. “Young adults are often busy travelers and incredibly social, so we want to make sure they get their shot to protect themselves and others while visiting restaurants, vacationing and attending various events. This promotion will go a long way in meeting that goal.”
Individuals will be monitored for 15 minutes after receiving the vaccine and are encouraged to follow any mask precautions established by the brewery or surrounding municipality. No proof of medical insurance is necessary.
“Brewers across South Carolina are committed to healthy communities,” Brook Bristow, executive director of the S.C. Brewers Guild, said. “As small, locally minded businesses, our citizens are our most valuable asset. If they aren’t healthy, then we can’t be either. We’re excited to partner with DHEC to expand vaccine access across the state at many of our member breweries as a part of this program.”
Dates and times to receive shots at participating breweries include:
- June 10: Keowee Brewing, Seneca, 4 p.m. to 8 p.m.; Holy City Brewing, Charleston, 3 p.m. to 6 p.m.
- June 11: Pendleton Brewing, Pendleton, 4 p.m. to 8 p.m.; Fireforge Crafted Beer, Greenville, 4 p.m. to 8 p.m.; Ciclops Cyderi and Brewery, Spartanburg, 4 p.m. to 8 p.m.; Edmund’s Oast Brewing Co., Charleston, 3 p.m. to 6 p.m.; River Rat Brewery, Columbia, 3 p.m. to 7 p.m.; Seminar Brewing, Florence, 4 p.m. to 9 p.m.
- June 12: Birds Fly South Ale Project, Greenville, 2 p.m. to 6 p.m.; Ciclops Cyderi and Brewery, 2 p.m. 6 p.m.; Tradesman Brewing Co., Charleston, 3 p.m. to 6 p.m.; Tidal Creek Brewhouse, Myrtle Beach, 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- June 17: Palmetto Brewing Co., Charleston, 4 p.m. to 7 p.m.; Tideland Brewing, North Charleston 4 p.m. to 7 p.m.
- June 18: Commonhouse Aleworks, North Charleston, 4 p.m. to 7 p.m.; Lore Brewing, Indian Land, 3 p.m. to 7 p.m.
- June 23: Victor Hoppenstein’s Brewlab, Charleston, 4 p.m. to 7 p.m.
- June 25: Low Tide Brewing, Johns Island, 3 p.m. to 6 p.m.
- June 25: Cooper River Brewing, Charleston, 4 p.m. to 7 p.m.