Bishop Gadsden, a Life Plan Retirement Community, embraces God’s call to ministry.
We affirm positive living for all who live and work here. We serve with integrity.
We exercise wise stewardship. We reach out with a generous spirit.
Name of organization: Bishop Gadsden Episcopal Retirement Community
Year established locally: 1850
Top local executive:
Sarah Tipton, President/CEO
1 Bishop Gadsden Way
Charleston, SC 29412
Corporate giving contact:
Kimberly Borts, Director of Charitable Giving and Communications
Average number of volunteers in 2020: While COVID offered its challenges, we are proud that Bishop Gadsden residents and team members still were able to donate 3,435 hours of volunteer time. Bishop Gadsden also continues to offer team members the opportunity to earn paid time off for volunteering in the outside community.
Geographic area or specific population served: The greater Charleston, S.C., area.
The Bishop Gadsden Charitable Fund. This fund assists our residents in need of financial assistance and supports our resident-selected outreach efforts to the greater Charleston community.
Residents choose the charitable organizations that Bishop Gadsden, as a Community, will support through the Charitable Fund and smaller fundraisers.
2020/2021 Top achievements:
The Charitable Giving and Communications Office, along with the Resident Charitable Mission Committee, the Bishop Gadsden Board of Trustees, President/CEO Sarah Tipton, and Vice President of Operations Aaron Roop, work to share and raise the awareness of Bishop Gadsden’s Charitable Mission, ensuring support of our internal and external charitable needs.
2020 Giving Highlights
- Donated 20,552 pounds of food to One80 Place, equaling a gift of $139,754 and 30,828 meals.
- $390,800 was donated to Bishop Gadsden Residents requiring financial assistance.
- Awarded $93,673 in Strongheart Employee Education Scholarships and Employee Assistance Fund Loans and Grants.
- Gave an estimated 3,435 volunteer hours, equating to $94,342 investment in the greater community.
- Provided $93,206 of in-kind items to Charleston Area Senior Center, My Sister’s House, Sea Island Habitat for Humanity, First Baptist School, Tricounty Family Ministries, Veteran’s Homeless Program, Ansonborough House, Pet Helpers, and Charleston County Public Library.
- Welcomed 126 employee team members as Shining Stars, contributing to the Charitable, Employee Assistance, and Strongheart Employee Education Scholarship Funds.
- Received a record $520,000 for the Annual Employee Appreciation Appeal. Each full-time team member received $1,850 as a thank you for an incredible year of dedication.
2021 Giving Highlights
- Bishop Gadsden’s Charitable Fund is currently raising funds for our 2021 Charitable Fund Grant Recipients. The outstanding organizations include:
- Barrier Islands Free Medical Clinic
- Charleston Area Senior Citizens
- Sea Island Hunger Awareness
- Tricounty Family Ministries
- Charleston Animal Society
- Be a Mentor
- Vantage Point Foundation
- Bishop Gadsden is in the final stretch of Our Shared Future Campaign supporting our Center for Health and Rehab, which will offer expanded memory support services, skilled nursing care, and short-term rehab care to Bishop Gadsden residents and the Charleston community.
- Award 2021 Grant Recipients in February, 2022, more than $150,000 from our 2021 Charitable Fund and complete the 2022 Charitable Fund Grant process.
- Complete the Our Shared Future Campaign and successfully open Bishop Gadsden’s Center for Health and Rehab.
- Encourage our team members to further their education and pay down debt incurred from previously completed education through our Stronheart Scholarship Program.
- Work to welcome those in the greater Charleston area when in need of short-term rehab.