Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility
SC Biz News

Real Estate - Commercial

Small fire breaks out at North Charleston Planet Fitness

Real Estate - Commercial
  • Share

An electrical fire at Planet Fitness at Northwoods Mall was called in to the North Charleston Fire Department early this morning. The gym is closed until further notice. (Photo/Teri Errico Griffis)

A small fire broke out at Planet Fitness inside Northwoods Mall early this morning.

The call came in at 7:19 a.m., and North Charleston Fire Department arrived to find light smoke. The fire was extinguished by the sprinkler system, Deputy Chief Stephanie Julazadeh said in a news release.

“A caller advised 911 that there was a fire in the electrical room,” Julazadeh said in the release. “The call was upgraded to a commercial structure fire, and additional fire units were dispatched.”

Upon arrival, firefighters found that the fire was likely caused by an electrical appliance failing, overheating or igniting, the release said.

No injuries were reported on scene.

Planet Fitness will be closed until further notice while the electrical equipment is replaced, the release said. The gym could not be reached for comment.

Reach Teri Errico Griffis at 843-849-3144.

  • Share
0 Comments
Write a Comment

Subscribe to Our Digital Newsletters