Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Revolutionary War sword on display at museum

Staff Report //April 5, 2018//

Revolutionary War sword on display at museum

Staff Report //April 5, 2018//

Listen to this article

The South Carolina Relic Room and Military Museum is displaying a Revolutionary War sword owned by Peter Horry, second in command to Francis Marion during the fighting.

The Revolutionary War sword owned by Peter Horry will be put on display at the South Carolina Relic Room and Military Museum. (Photo/Provided)

The sword is of a style developed in the 1780s for British officers and adopted by Americans, according to a news release from the museum. It is believed the sword was presented to Horry in the 1790s, when he was a general in the S.C. militia.

Horry, a planter of Huguenot descent like Marion, was from a family that owned rice plantations in what is now Georgetown County. After the war, he married into the Guignard family and built a home in Columbia, located on the grounds of the University of South Carolina Law School and celebrated as one of the city’s oldest dwellings.

Fritz Hamer, curator of history at the museum, said the owner of the sword recently offered to sell it to the museum. The purchased was completed with the help of the nonprofit South Carolina Arms Collectors Association, and the sword went on display April 2.

After the war, Horry served in the S.C. militia until retiring in 1806. He died in 1815.

p