Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Second-story restaurant planned above Drake’s Duck-In

Staff Report //April 10, 2018//

Second-story restaurant planned above Drake’s Duck-In

Staff Report //April 10, 2018//

Listen to this article

Plans to renovate the second story of Drake’s Duck-In on Main Street to include a rooftop restaurant will be considered by the city’s Design/Development Review Committee on Thursday.

The owners of the landmark downtown eatery at 1544 Main St. are seeking preliminary certification for Bailey Bill historical tax credits for renovations that will include opening the structure’s second story for the first time in nearly 80 years.

The submitted plans show five connected rooms on the second story and detail plans to reconstruct the stairway, removed in the 1940s, and restore the storefront to its appearance from that era. The roof will be replaced to match its current appearance and will serve as a deck or patio for a second-level restaurant, according to the plans.

Renovation plans submitted to the city of Columbia include the addition of an upstairs restaurant and deck to Drake's Duck-In at 1544 Main St. (Photo/Melinda Waldrop) The renovations, which will include adding a second-story rear deck, are projected to cost $450,000.

When Daniel Boan and Matthew Bridges bought Drake’s Duck-In in June 2015, they discussed long-term plans to open the upstairs.

A drawing of the second floor shows a seven-seat bar overlooking Main Street and a small restaurant space with nine tables seating four people each and one table seating two. A drawing of the back deck has six four-person and tables and a pair of two-person tables.

The building, constructed around 1872, began life as a bookstore before becoming a shoe store after renovations in the 1930s and 40s. A later renovation included the installation of a slipcover façade which obscured the storefront windows and decorative medallions and removed a wooden cornice at the top of the building.

The slipcover has been removed, the exposed brick will be cleaned, and new windows are planned for the existing four window openings, according to plans submitted to the city. The medallions will remain in place and be returned to their original appearance, while the cornice will be replicated.