North Charleston firefighters and Charleston County EMS responded to a commercial structure fire at a uniform company in North Charleston this morning.
There were no injuries, the fire department said in a news release, and the fire was contained to commercial laundry equipment at UniFirst Uniform Services. The company said it is back open after the fire.
The fire department said firefighters saw smoke coming from the roof and employees evacuating the large commercial building when they arrived, Julazadeh said in the news release. The firefighters blocked off the road and entered the laundry facility to find a commercial dryer had caught fire.
The fire was contained to the dryer, the fire department said, but smoke had filled the building. Firefighters used fans to remove the smoke.
The North Charleston Fire Department said the department assisted the business two years ago with a fire drill that included an evacuation plan and a meeting site to account for all employees after a fire alarm activates.
“The North Charleston Fire Department provides emergency evacuation plan assistance to businesses,” the department said in the news release. “Just like having a fire escape plan at home, it’s important to have a plan at work.”
Julazadeh said all of the department’s outreach programs are free for businesses and organizations. More information can be found online, but some of the programs have been curtailed currently because of the coronavirus pandemic.